Email hosting is an online hosting service that leases out and runs email servers. Signing up for an e-mail hosting service isn’t the same as signing up for a free email account like Gmail or Yahoo. While similar, e-mail hosting provides a more premium product. In this article, we will discuss what is email and hosting and how it can help your business.
What is Email Hosting?
As a website owner, you may already know what web hosting is – after all, if you have a website, you have web hosting. You may not know how web hosting differs from e-mail hosting, though, or you may have thought that they are the same thing.
Difference between Web Hosting and Email Hosting?
Website hosting – is a service that provides the physical computer space (a server) needed for your website to ‘live’ on the internet. It includes website files being stored on one or more servers and making those files available to web browsers. Content that will be stored on the server includes everything from software and apps to text and images.
Email hosting – is also a service in which a hosting provider rents out server space–only these servers are used only for email data.
This type of hosting can be:
- On the same server that hosts your website data
- With the same firm that hosts your website, but on a different server
- With a completely different firm that only handles e-mail hosting
How E-mail Hosting Can Help Your Business?
A personal email address ending in ‘@gmail.com’ or ‘@yahoo.com’ is great for keeping in touch and paying your bills. When you set up a web presence for your business, though, you need something more extraordinary – you need a business email. Generally, it should be a professional email that uses your domain name–for example, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Using a professional email address is important, for various reasons:
- A professional email address adds reliability and allows your clients to know that you are a reliable business
- An email address using your domain name is different and memorable
- A separate business email assists you stay organized and avoid mixing up your personal and business tasks
- A business email allows you quickly activate emails for new employees and deactivate emails (and access) for former employees